On Jun 14, 2013, at 01:01, Marco Rogers <marco.rog...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You've got the right idea. But you're right that it can be difficult to work
> out the details. I've been giving talks on this recently, and I've got a repo
> that may help. Check out my example gzip stream. There are slides and other
> examples in there that may also be helpful.
>
> https://github.com/polotek/txjs-2013-streams-talk/blob/master/streams/gzipstream.js
>
> Keep in mind that this is an example. Don't use this for gzipping. Gzip
> streaming is now supported by the core zlib module in node core.

Thanks! This is great. I'd gotten about half of that example written before
becoming confused. I haven't made my own streams before. Seeing a complete
example is very helpful.

On Jun 14, 2013, at 01:14, Andrey <andrey.sido...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can use https://github.com/sidorares/exec-stream

Having this wrapped up in a module is fantastic, since it is quite a few things
to get right. Thank you! I had searched for "spawn-stream" and not found
anything, and hadn't made the leap to search for "exec-stream" yet.

Now to try these solutions out and find out what, if anything, is done with
stderr. Looking at the code briefly, it doesn't look like stderr is handled.