After a lot of good advice in here, we eventually replicated a copy of the
npm repo (using couch 1.2.x and Windows - go figure).

We finally stood it up in our private environment and had some problems.

If we run 'npm --registry http://ourrepo.com/registry install Base64' it
will first resolve against our repo. The json file it returns points to a
tarball at 'http://repository.npmjs.org/...' though, which won't work for
us (we're offline). Is that a setting we can change during replication,
i.e. point to localhost or an IP/host instead of npmjs.org?

Even if we manually try to use curl to pull the .tgz by hitting '
http://ourrepo.com/registry/Base64/-/Base64-0.1.2.tgz' we get a 404 with
the following JSON error:

"{ error: 'not found', reason: 'document is missing attachment' }"

But if we hit ../registry/Base64/Base64-0.1.2.tar.gz, the file is there and
is valid. It's like our redirects don't work/resolve.

Any ideas? When I dig around in the couchapp (~/_utils) everything looks to
be there. This happens with all dep's, not just Base64 of course.

thanks,

andy