This depends largely on load.  If you're talking about an application with
a single or very small number of users, then determining raw speed will
determine server vs client.  However, if you have multiple concurrent
requests then it will usually be faster to push the work to the client as
each client can do the work for themselves instead of having the server to
the work for all clients.

That said, raw performance is rarely the most important concern.  Certain
tasks simply lend themselves better to be done on server vs client and
other considerations like bandwidth usually override those decisions.  In
addition there are other options than just server/client like creating a
pool of server processes or pool of servers to perform certain processing
if the task is appropriately handled on the server and load is high.

hth,

Sam