On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:17 AM,  <dar...@darrenwhitlen.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Memory graphs (memory shown in MB):
>     http://i.imgur.com/gMwYSWS.png
>     http://i.imgur.com/gLF5NNr.png
>
> Node version: 0.10.15 (same issue applies on 0.8.*, 0.10.15 and under)
>
> I've been trying to tackle a serious memory issue for my web application,
> https://kiwiirc.com/
> The project consists of mainly incoming SSL connections via socket.io and
> lots of outgoing TCP (plaintext/TLS) connections.
>
> I have been running a test server with a % of live traffic heading to it to
> produce the memory graphs given above.
> The heap does not have a significant rise and the GC does bring it down as
> evident in the graph.
> However, the RSS memory usage has clearly gone out of control. Eventually it
> starts swapping on the system until the process is killed due to memory
> usage.
>
> What can I do to debug this RSS memory issue? Are there any known issues
> that would cause this?
>
> Darren

If V8 heap memory usage is mostly flat but RSS keeps growing, you
might want to trot out massif[1] and massif-visualizer[2].

Massif is a precise C/C++ heap profiler.  It's one downside is that it
massively (pun unintended) slows down your application.

[1] http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/ms-manual.html
[2] https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/sdk/massif-visualizer