[resending with e-mail address subscribed to nodejs mailing list]

2013/8/12 Mark Miller <erig...@gmail.com>

> [+cutsem, +btulloh]
>
> Hi Tristan, you may be interested in a recent paper on Dr. SES by Tom Van
> Cutsem, Bill Tulloh, and myself: <
> http://research.google.com/pubs/pub40673.html>. In it we explain our
> plans and hopes for Dr. SES, (Distributed Resilient Secure EcmaScript). I
> say hopes because part of this depends on another project, NodeKen, that we
> hope to be the successor to v8Ken <https://github.com/supergillis/v8-ken>,
> but which is not currently in active development. (Tom, is this true?) For
> NodeKen and Dr. SES, we expect we would proceed with one Node process per
> actor, at least at first, since performance is not currently a priority for
> this work.

 A little more background info for the uninitiated:

v8-ken was the work done by one of my students. It successfully combines v8
with the Ken library, giving us a crash-resilient v8. All JavaScript values
are allocated in a persistent heap. Ken makes an incremental snapshot of
this persistent heap after every turn of the event loop.

In v8-ken, the event loop is basically the v8 read-eval-print loop. To do a
little more interesting experiments, we augmented v8 with (primitive)
support for processing HTTP requests as well. Obviously this is stuff that
node.js handles much better, indeed, is optimized for.

The logical next step is thus to repeat the v8-ken experiment, but this
time combining node.js with Ken, leading to a crash-resilient node.js (this
is what we call the NodeKen project). The main challenges that I see are
how to combine Ken's event loop with node.js's event loop (it's no longer a
simple REPL), and how to deal with socket-based communication (Ken assumes
message-passing happens using discrete messaging, not using stream-based
communication).

The student working on v8 is no longer working at my lab. NodeKen is still
on my research agenda, but I'm currently lacking the manpower to complete
it. Meanwhile, I'm happy to answer questions about v8-ken, and happy to
advise anyone willing to work on NodeKen.

Kind regards,
Tom