On 13 August 2013 at 8:47:04 PM, Ryan Schmidt (google-2...@ryandesign.com)
wrote:

On Aug 13, 2013, at 07:16, Chris Wakare wrote:

> During the 2013 Black Hat conference , researchers announced the BREACH
> attack. As BREACH takes advantage of vulnerabilities when serving compressed
> data over SSL/TLS, its been advised to disable compression of web responses.
>
> I see this holds true for nodejs applications as well as we by practice
> always enable http compression.
>
> Do refer https://www.blackhat.com/us-13/briefings.html#Prado for more details

I have not read the page you refer to (TL;DR) but surely the correct solution
is to fix whatever vulnerabilities may exist in compression with SSL, rather
than to disable it. Compression is highly desirable and widely advocated, for
all the obvious reasons.

It’s a systemic flaw in the way that compression interacts with encryption.
The best ways to defeat it are to make your compression unpredictable to an
order of magnitude that outstrips the ability to guess what the content is by
how it’s compressed given enough tries.

It’s hard to fix statistical attacks without letting the details leak into the
layers above. In this case, adding random data in certain places in the stream
is what’s needed — but that means altering the content, it’s not a simple
transform that can be done at low layers.