On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM, spollack <s...@pollackphoto.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, September 19, 2013 10:14:22 AM UTC-7, Ben Noordhuis wrote:
>>

>> Yes, that's correct.  1 GB is a bit on the low side these days,
>> especially when running on a virtualized machine where the physical
>> memory may be overcommitted.  The easiest way to fix your issues is
>> probably to add more memory.
>

> Our app is running in Heroku, and the only dyno size options they provide
> right now are 512MB or 1024MB. We could look at switching hosting providers,
> but that is a bigger undertaking. So I'm definitely going to try to get node
> 0.10.x to perform similar to 0.8.x for us if at all possible.
>

>> Maybe have a look at node-heapdump or node-webkit-agent.  They're both
>> tools for creating and diffing heap snapshots.  Finding out what is
>> using memory is a good first step.
>

> Thanks. I'll do some more experimentation with different
> --max_old_space_size settings, and if that isn't working, i'll try looking
> at the heapdumps to see what i can see. Do either of these tools give direct
> insight into non-heap allocations?

Yes and no.  They're strictly for snapshotting the V8 heap but
embedders can provide information about external objects and node.js
does.

For example, a Buffer consumes only a few bytes of on-heap memory but
potentially many megabytes of off-heap memory.  Node.js provides some
metadata to V8 that ends up in the heap snapshot and lets e.g.
Chrome's inspector tool show the object's true size.