Thanks Ben.  We're making some progress (I've been working with Ken on
this).  Installing binutils helped, as did slamming the CPU harder.

We're banging around trying to get a top-down tree (tweaking
linux-tick-processor).

+1 for filtering out epoll, or anything else that makes it so you don't
have to slam the cpu as a prerequisite to profiling.

A general challenge has been getting confident that we're seeing the whole
picture (e.g., now i'm often seeing "syscall" at 47% with no break down) so
we don't waste time optimizing a small bit.

-aaron