Thanks for the link.

That guy's done a lot of work on his canvas library, but it seems like
overkill to me. After all you're recreating a widget library, which you
already get for free with HTML, not to mention the endless
HTML/CSS/Javascript components available on the web. Redoing everything on
the canvas seems like a lot of work to me!

Besides, my approach of manipulating the DOM does not preclude inserting a
canvas and manipulating it via Javascript sent over from the server - so
it's a more general approach.

Does anyone know of any libraries that already assist you in doing this? I
am really surprised that there's nothing (mature) which fills this niche.
It's sort of like meteor <http://www.meteor.com/> and
derby<http://derbyjs.com/>,
but those seem to be more fully-fledged web frameworks optimized for
production websites, not for local rapid (inelegant) development.