Also keep in mind that the native string type in JavaScript is UCS-16 which
means that any code points higher than 16 bits have to be encoded using
surrogate pairs. (Note that the native encoding is quite different from the
UTF-8 encoding commonly used when serializing strings to binary data)

A quick way to check your terminal's settings is to read stdin as node
buffers and inspect the bytes manually.  UTF-8 isn't too hard to recognize
and decode by hand for just a few chars.