> I would like to know whether there are people out there that would be
negatively affected by such a change.

Yes.

There is no good alternative for built-in debugger right now.
node-inspector and node-webkit agent are both web-based, they require to
use chromium, hard to set up with remote servers, don't always work on
unstable, etc., etc. Maybe something has changes over the last months, but
I have rather negative experience using them before.

I suppose if you take it out of the core and publish as a separate module,
this would work. But we really should have a simple debugger that works
everywhere and anytime regardless of the environment. Which means command
line debugger.

Why is it pain to support anyway? I just did 'git log _debugger.js', and
there aren't much changes there. I know that readline changes break it
sometimes, but it's not a big deal.