If you launch your application and rename (or even remove) node_modules
later, your application will still be working because of various caches.

Answering an original question, yes, node_modules above the application
root should work fine, although default behaviour is to look for a
node_modules in cwd AND all folders up to the root, so if you split your
modules between several upper folders, it'll still work.