Hi,
I just published new tool for managing module dependencies, have a peek
here:
https://github.com/OhJeez/npm-auto-dep

It differs from the ones already available, that it is interactive. You can
modify version spec, ignore some dependencies, tell npm to get that one
module from github etc.

It works by greping module sources (so Linux/Unix only), then some simple
regexp heuristics to guess if given require is of external module. It asks
user what to do with every module it finds, and then changes dependencies
in package.json as needed (after confirmation).

If it proves to be in anyway popular I would consider adding these:

   - Removing dependencies (now they can be only added or changed)
   - Better git repository handling (hash revision specifying, custom
   repositories)
   - Managing of devDependencies
   - Moving deps between production and dev

Feel welcomed to drop an issue on github if something is working not as
expected or if you would like to see a new feature! (including those above)

Cheers