Hello node experts!

A web socket connection to a node server sends a header with each message. I am
looking for a way to forward just the message to a third-party application
running on the server.

The scenario: We have a robot (for want of a better word) that is used for
medical diagnosis. This robot is currently controlled by a hardware console.
The console sends and receives plain text strings to an application which
commands the robot. Let's call this application the Commander.

Two programmers are working on creating an app that can run on an iPad (or
other tablet), to replace the console. My role is to create the iPad app, my
colleague has all the low-level knowledge required for controlling the robot.

We have been experimenting with using a Node.js server and WebSocket to create
a connection. My app sends the server the string required by the Commander
application, like this:

  webSocketInstance.send(string)

My colleague reports that the Commander application receives a message with a
header like this...

  GET / HTTP/1.1Origin: null
  Sec-WebSocket-Protocol: echo-protocol
  Sec-WebSocket-Key: 5oLKa2EzNd9EGxAcyS72RQ==
  ConnecUpgrade
  Upgrade: Websocket
  Sec-WebSocket-Version: 13
  Us...

... when he is expecting a string that looks like this:

  '040100040001'

We don't want to change the Commander application, because if we do, it will no
longer respond to the hardware console. We are looking for a way of stripping
the header so that the Node.js application on the server can mimic the console
perfectly.

My question: is there a module that we can use on the server to forward just
the expected string to the existing Commander application?

I am fairly new to Node.js and fairly experienced with JavaScript.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment,

James