I like the simplicity of JSON, I endured years of XML and XSLT :)

The reason for the JSON format, which is actually any of JSON, CSON, YAML,
is for the project script to survive round trips between the drag 'n drop
GUI and editing the script manually. Functions are supported through simple
declarations so yeah a JavasScript jock like yourself has all the power at
his disposal, while front-end folks who just want to compile, watch,
minify, image sprie by simple clicks don't have to deal with JSON or JS at
all.