Hey Ravi, thanks for the comments. Replies inline:

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM, // ravi <ravi-li...@g8o.net> wrote:

> On May 3, 2014, at 9:07 PM, Forrest Norvell <othiy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As part of more actively moderating the group, I'm also open to your
> suggestions on what we can do to shape this into a more useful forum. If
> you go to the gist where I put the draft of the moderation
> policy<https://gist.github.com/othiym23/9886289>,
> you can see that there are already a couple suggestions. Feedback on those
> suggestions is welcome, as is feedback on the moderation policy itself.
>

> Hello Forrest,
>
> Iā€™d suggest or bring up two thoughts in response to the call above:
>
> 1) Consider not forking discussions into Gists. I understand they are
> editable and a useful way to form consensus, but the negatives (forking the
> discussion, formation of independent consensus and implicit tiering, etc)
> outweigh that positive, IMHO.

It makes sense to keep the discussion on a thing to a single place, and I
apologize if I left the impression that this was an all-or-nothing thing.
To me, it makes sense to put discussion on the moderation policy at the
place where it lives (as opposed to individual posts of the policy), but if
people want to discuss it here, that's fine as well.

> 2) In the informal guidelines I notice there is no mention of discussion
> related to NodeJS itself. Is that because (a) that is considered a
> closed/private matter not up for democratic debate (not being facetious),
> or

The converse, actually: I think it's completely appropriate for people to
discuss Node ā€“ both as a platform and a product ā€“ here, and while
moderators (by which I mean me, for now) won't hesitate to get involved if
things get heated, people should feel free to bring up whatever. As a
community, we'll be better off the more the community feels like there
aren't cliques or backchannels where important decisions are being made out
of public view. That said, it's TJ Fontaine's responsibility to decide how
to manage Node's development, and he's very busy right now. I don't think
armchair quarterbacking of the dev process will be very useful until 0.12
is out the door.

> (b) there is a node-core or equivalent list where such discussion occurs?

There is an IRC channel for the Node core dev team (to which I do not
belong), but this group and the issues on the Github repo are the only fora
of record for discussing Node itself. Most of the useful discussion about
Node core's development really does happen either on Github issues or in
#libuv on IRC.

> Regards, and good luck with your effort. You can add me to your list of
> volunteers should the need arise for assistance in moderation tasks.

Thank you! I've made a note of it.