I have split off lib/_debugger.js from nodejs, and made that a separate npm
package.  This package is called trepanjs
<https://www.npmjs.com/package/marked-terminal>as it is similar to my other
"trepanning" debuggers for python
<https://pypi.python.org/pypi?name=trepan&:action=display>, ruby
<https://rubygems.org/gems/trepanning>, or perl
<https://metacpan.org/pod/Devel::Trepan>which are all gdb in spirit.

Why do this crazy thing?

1. As a separate npm package, the lifecycles of the debugger and nodejs
release are decoupled. Especially in the beginning, there will be more
frequent releases of the debugger.
2. I can have dependencies on other npm packages. Right now, I have just
nopt <http://nopt.> for options processing, but I am contemplating though
marked-terminal <https://www.npmjs.com/package/marked-terminal> to provide
better source-code terminal highlighting.
3. I can provide the latest level of debugger support with older version of
node. In a way this is another restatement of item 1. The focus here is
that you can get newer debugger features even on your older nodejs
installation. (When I was developing this, the current debugger code
wouldn't work on my installed version of node. So I had to add a 'util'
compatibility module for util)
4. It gives the code space to grow. In node, the debugger is one 1700-line
file. In my project, each debugger command is its own file each under 100
lines. After splitting out each command file, one of the first things I did
was add more extensive on-line help.

And of course...
5. the gdb command set is more familiar, so proficiency you might have in
gdb can be transfered here and vice versa.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/21a3655e-16c5-418d-bfba-f7fd6f71c1b4%40googlegroups.com.