We set the port to whatever we want, but it's a common security and usage
practice to not use "low ports" (lower then 1024) for app servers. In fact,
in most operating systems, if you run the app server as a non-system user,
you _cannot_ bind to such port.

The usual practice for Node.js (or, say, Tomcat, or Websphere or RoR or any
other app servers) to be bound to some high port (above 1024) and then let
nginx, apache, IIS or something else serve the port 80, and proxy over
requests to the app server.

That way on one host you can even run multiple app servers with one web
server.

Nothing would stop you to run as, say, root on Linux or a Mac, and bind the
Node.js app to port 80, but then  your app has root privileges, and if your
code (or some of the modules you use) is buggy or has security problems,
your app would be a risk to the whole system.

Zlatko

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/b84f439d-90ab-4115-b169-6538d941cd2d%40googlegroups.com.