If it's physical memory usage (RSS) dropping from 400mb to 100mb when
things are going slow, but other memory sizes staying the same (especially
if the V8 heap size is still > 100mb), that sounds like maybe your system
might be out of total physical memory and a bunch of that process's memory
got paged out to slower (swap) memory (although, depending on OS, that may
not show up as 100% cpu usage).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/00474180-2c98-452f-a17d-18c831315e52%40googlegroups.com.