I don't know what version of Linux you're running, but prepacked version of
node on Ubuntu are *very* out-of-date (I just checked my 15.04 installation
and the version of node for that is still stuck at 0.10.25). By building
from source, you can pick one of the latest versions (4.2.2 or 5.0.0). It's
not too hard to build from source, either. I just install it in
/usr/local/nodejs and make sure my paths are set up accordingly to make
sure the "correct" version is always run first.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:50 AM, JamieP <jamiexpatr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to install Node on Linux and am not sure whether to unpack the
> pre-built binary for Linux 64 or to build from source.
>
> Can anyone brief me on the drivers behind building from source on the
> target machine as opposed to just unpacking a pre-built version?
>
> cheers
>
> --
> Job board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> New group rules: