I'm new to node, getting used to the ecosystem. One thing I've noticed is
that when I save changes to files, the server restarts, which takes 7-15
seconds each cycle.

What sort of hotswap / hotplugging options are out there? I see

https://www.npmjs.com/package/hotswap

which I'm working with but haven't got working yet. Also that repo is a
couple years since the last commit.

Is hotplugging code, ie. reloading individual changed files without
restarting, popular for node? Are there other npm's that I'm not finding?
Why isn't this supported out of the box? Also, is 7-15 seconds a long time
for a nodejs server? I'm guessing yes ...

Thanks!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/f34dbc57-fb7f-47a6-ba17-07c15901a3d8%40googlegroups.com.