On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 5:50 AM, Yun Feng Ma <yunfen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 在此输入代码...
>

> 在 2016年5月6日星期五 UTC+8上午9:43:50,Ben Noordhuis写道:
>>
>> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Yun Feng Ma <yunf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone!
>> >
>> > The dns.resolve tries to send request to only the first nameserver in
>> > /etc/resolv.conf, and if the first nameserver fails to resolve the name,
>> > dns.resolve just returns and doesn't try to send request to the second
>> > nameserver.  Is this work-as-design?
>> >
>> > Here is an example: the  /etc/resolv.conf is like below in Linux:
>> > 75.2.4.5
>> > 75.4.7.6
>> >
>> > Run below codes:
>> > dns.resolve('demo1.sample.com','A',function(err, addresses) {
>> >         console.log(err);
>> >         console.log(addresses);
>> > });
>> >
>> > The 'demo1.sample.com' is defined in the second nameserver (75.4.7.6),
>> > so
>> > the above codes always failed, because the dns.resolve doesn't try to
>> > call
>> > the second nameserver.
>> >
>> > I found nodejs has flag to control this:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/nodejs/node/blob/master/deps/cares/src/ares_init.c#L255
>> > seems like the default behaviour is only call the first nameserver, is
>> > there
>> > any way to make dns.resolve to call all nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf
>> > until succeed?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot.
>>
>> The second nameserver is only tried when the first one times out or
>> returns a malformed reply.  If the first server replies with NXDOMAIN
>> (domain not found), the second one isn't contacted; that shouldn't be
>> necessary because DNS is a global registry after all.
>

> Thanks, Ben, for the reply.
>
> In our environment, the first nameserver is our internal DNS server, which
> is used to resolve some internal domain names; the second nameserver is the
> public nameserver (like google DNS server 8.8.8.8), so this code
> dns.resolve('www.google.com','A',function(err, addresses) { }) will get
> failed, because the first nameserver returns NXDOMAIN for "www.google.com".
> Do you have any solution for this?
>
> Thanks.

Not a node.js-based solution but is there a reason you can't configure
your internal nameserver to forward requests for names it doesn't know
about to an upstream server?

If that isn't a option, you could try installing dnsmasq locally and
see if you can make it do what you want.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/CAHQurc_6spr2VfcW9fm2go8ySndHuZfm00o0aOJDpE11hGxMtA%40mail.gmail.com.