Excerpts from Sepp Tannhuber's message of October 21, 2014 12:02:
Dear all,

I'm wondering whether there's a notmuch mail client
- with a handling similar to alot
- which is capable to show html content without html2ascii conversion
- which can use vim as editor
- which doesn't need a web browser
- which doesn't need a mouse
- which is fast

In principle, alot is the perfect mail client for me except that I've
many problems with all the html mails people send to me. So I'm wondering
whether anybody knows a webkit based alot fork or something similar. It's
strange that after so many years I'm still looking for the perfect mail
client.

Hi Sepp,

I am working on something called 'astroid' which is a GTK+ and WebKit
based email client for notmuch.

- It can show html parts inline if you choose to.
- It shows previews of image attachments.
- It uses vim (embedded) as editor.
- It is entirely navigated using the keyboard (based on vim)
- It is fairly fast (but requires optimization of some parts) (probably
 disputed).

It is, however, very pre-alpha-beta. If you are brave enough,
please feel free to try it out:

 https://github.com/gauteh/astroid

There are some screenshots here:

 http://gaute.vetsj.com/arkiv/astroid/screenshots/

You can press '?' to get a brief overview of the keybindings (they are
based on those of sup [0]). But I haven't completed the help stuff yet,
in that case refer to the source code (did I mention it was pre-alpha?).

Not all features are ready (notably encryption), but it is complete
enough for daily usage - at least for me.

I was planning to make it a little bit more user friendly to try out and
use before I announced it, but I think it fits your description (it was
at least what I was attempting to solve when I started it). The
README.md [1] covers basic compilation and setup steps, and I tried to
collect what is required for setting astroid up on a fresh Ubuntu in the
wiki [2].

[0] http://supmua.org/
[1] https://github.com/gauteh/astroid/blob/master/README.md
[2] https://github.com/gauteh/astroid/wiki/Ubuntu