Quoting the argument does not change anyting -- which makes sense, since searching for the id does work well when using "notmuch show --format=raw". So it's not a quoting issue.

BTW, the error also shows up if I just omit the option "format=raw" in notmuch show.

This is the ID which I am using for testing:

E5-a1wt6bgr-elaine/2/42589-dc960...@nlsender05.ui-portal.com

Jörg