I guess you'll have to convince the maintainers / users of alot and afew
that this makes sense before we go much further. I'd point out that
Debian stable is only at python 3.5, so that makes me a bit wary of this
(being able to run the test suite on debian stable and similar aged
distros useful for me, and I suspect other developers).

I know there are issues with memory management in the current bindings,
so that may be a strong reason to push to python 3.6; it seems to need
more investigation at the moment.

I am generally in favour of modernizing the notmuch python bindings,
especially when it comes to memory management and exception handling.

At the moment, the alot interface officially only supports python v2.7
but our dependencies have now mostly been updated and we are working on
port to python 3, see here: https://github.com/pazz/alot/pull/1055

afew maintainer here ;-)

I'm also very much in favor of a more modern and pythonic interface, and would
gladly support retiring python 2, moving to the new interface.

I had a quick glimpse on the code, and would like to do some annotations. I fear
it's a bit awkward to do this inside the huge patch, which might already have
changed, and send back via email.
Did you publish a changeset to github, or somewhere else where I could comment
on it?

Cheers,
Florian