I use a minor mode which automatically adds an encryption tag to the message if a key is known to exist. It does not look up the key, it only checks the private store (those keys which are already known by the gpg agent). Maybe you could adapt this to your needs. The source is located at https://github.com/publicimageltd/encryptif

Jörg