Hi Frederick,

Frederick Eaton <frede...@ofb.net> writes:

I am trying to figure out how to adapt a script I wrote for filtering messages, to apply notmuch tags to each message. A difficulty is that the messages are already in the Notmuch database, because another tool has delivered them to a maildir and run "notmuch new".

Now, Notmuch can provide me with the paths of all the new (unfiltered) messages, which I can give to my script. The question I have is, once the filter is done, how can the script tell Notmuch which message to apply the tags to?

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. If the problem here is to distinguish existing messages and new messages, would the config option 'new.tags' work? For example, use

   notmuch config set new.tags new

to give all new messages a 'new' tag.

I've tentatively concluded that the best way to locate each message in the Notmuch database is to extract the Message-ID and search for it with "id:"? But the FAQ says that multiple messages can have the same Message-ID (and some spam messages don't have one at all).

IIRC, in the Notmuch database tags are associated with message IDs, so you probably do not need to worry about this.
If I could access the message using the filename that the script is processing, it would seem slightly more reliable. It seems like there should be some way to allow a Notmuch database entry to be accessed directly by filename, without even creating a Notmuch-style search query containing that filename, but rather by passing the filename as a command-line argument to "notmuch". It would be nice not to have to worry about quoting and unquoting.

I am not sure if this is useful, given that (presumably) Notmuch uses message IDs as keys. Besides, those filenames are usually generated automatically and quite cryptic.

When I try to search for a message using "path:", nothing seems to work.

[...]

There were no results for any of the "path:" searches, although the "id:" search worked. I am using version 0.32.2 and can update if this may be related to a bug that was fixed in the past few years.

I have never used 0.32.2 so I am not sure if there are any differences, but for version 0.38.3, the prefix "path:" is used to search for messages in some *directory*, and the query should be *relative* to the maildir.

I highly recommend the manual page 'notmuch-search-terms(7)' and also other pages if you have time. They are informative and well written, and very helpful for writing message processing scripts.

Regards,
Pengji