I have been using a post-new hook for ages without problems, and today I
got curious about post-insert. I set up ~/.maildir/.notmuch/hooks/post-insert
like I previously did with post-new. Whenever invoked manually, post-insert
notes an event in a log file.

The issue is that I don't see post-insert ever being called by notmuch.
Should not both post-new and post-insert be called when "notmuch new" is
invoked after new mail has arrived?

The manual page notmuch-hooks(5) states:

  The hook will not be run if there have been any errors during the
  message delivery; what is regarded as successful delivery depends on
  the --keep option.

What is the --keep option and where is it documented? I have not yet
been able find a source, so I am asking here.

-Ralph