In doom 3, there is a function called "jitter the subsampling matrix" (r_jitter)

I thought about doing an improved version of this, but I lack the expertise in driver development. But I share the idea with you, so that you may implement it, as a lowest resource antialiasing.

Carmack modulates the subsampling with white noise. That gives a psychovisual effect, that is a bit noisy, because of low-frequency variations. This can be improved by modulating with highpassed noise instead.

Also the technique can be improved by blending frames, say 1 frame is blended with 30% of second, 20%¤ of third 10% of fourth. And probably no more than that. Ratios and highpass should be tunable also. Maybe a lowpass on the noise would be good too, to remove extreme high-freqency.

Then you get jittered antialiasing, that combines several frames of different subsampling, to an average psychovisual effect, of higher resolution, and antialiasing.

Combining it with just a little smoothing from 2xMSAA and 2xAniso, is probably perfect. 2xAniso can be sharpened up with -0.5lodbias, and then it gives a smoother/more natural result when close, than higher aniso, and still sharp at distance.

Also -  Great performance in games, low latency, fast desktop:

A lot of people have been talking about these things lately. These things are already solved, and I sum them up, on my blog, as I have been researching the same, for quite some time. : http://paradoxuncreated.com/Blog/wordpress/?p=2268

John Carmack talks about not being able to run doom 3 at 60fps on consoles. So it runs at 30.

I am now running it at 72, with LOW Jitter (constant gliding framerate).
And that is even on what is today a modest dualcore 2.5ghz + a gtx 280.

So this is what you want.

--
Fred være med deg / Peace Be with You,
Ove Karlsen