On 25.01.2015 21:40, super_7b wrote:
Hi,

I took this issue to the Fedora forum initially, but no-one there has been able to offer any guidance, so I have decided to come to the nouveau community directly.

I was running a KDE desktop under Fedora 21 successfully, including the ability to use a direct text login on an older card (GXT 560 Ti) with an entirely stock Fedora, fully updated.

I simply replaced the old card with an Asus GTX 970 and re-booted.

I run with the "rhgb quiet" option removed from grub2, so I can see all that happens up to the graphical login screen and I noticed that the re-boot was different at the point at which the screen changed from a basic (80x25 ?) text to a higher resolution (128X50 ?). This no longer happened and I got a simple blank screen.

If I wait, the graphical boot screen eventually appears and I can login to KDE successfully and run my desktop apps as normal. If I switch consoles (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2) for a text login, I get a black screen.

The last visible thing on my boot screen before the black is something like "fb: switching to nouveaufb from EFI VGA".

When I looked at the dmesg output, lsmod and lshw, it appears that the nouveau driver does not correctly detect and initialise the GTX 970.

Have I a configuration error, or is there something not working in nouveau?

I attach logs from dmesg, lshw and lsmod and I can supply more data if needed.

BR

Mick

Hi,
the 9xx series is rather new and is not supported by nouveau for now (modesetting is in 3.19rcX imho). Concerning acceleration: Nvidia needs to provide signed firmwares for those cards under a license appropriate to include in an open source project, until that happens, there wont be substantial improvements.

Greetings
Tobias