On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 22-02-16 17:13, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Ilia Mirkin <imir...@alum.mit.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> Yeah, I think you're right. I didn't realize that tesla had a special
>>> form of input for user params, I assumed it was just the usual thing.
>>> So forget about constbufs, go with the INPUT thing. Which is great,
>>> since we had one value left over in that (future) 2-bit field :)

>>> Correct -- BUFFER[0] refers to the buffer at binding point 0, and
>>> BUFFER[1] refers to the buffer at binding point 1. They might, in
>>> fact, overlap, or even be the same buffer. But the code doesn't know
>>> about that.
>

> Ack.

>>> Not sure what the question is... you have code like
>>>
>>> int *foo = [pointer value from user input];
>>> *foo = *(foo + 5);
>>>
>>> right?
>>>
>>> So that'd just become
>>>
>>> MOV TEMP[0].x, <val from user input, whereever it is>
>>> ADD TEMP[0].y, TEMP[0].x, 5 * 4
>>> LOAD TEMP[1].x, MEMORY[0] (which is global), TEMP[0].y
>>> STORE MEMORY[0], TEMP[0].x, TEMP[1].x
>>>
>>> or perhaps I'm misunderstanding something?
>>>
>>> MEMORY, GLOBAL == the global virtual memory address space, not some
>>> specific buffer. Trying to load address 0 from it will likely lead to
>>> sadness, unless you happen to have something mapped there. BUFFER has
>>> an implied base address, based on the binding point, but MEMORY has no
>>> such thing.
>

> OK, that answers my questions / worries, I was worried that MEMORY
> too would have an implied base address, which would more or less only
> get in the way with opencl, but if the memory register file takes
> a virtual memory address as second operand to LOAD then I'm happy.
>
> So I guess that if we mix in say TGSI-shared / OpenCL-local memory
> them I would do:
>
> DCL MEMORY[0], GLOBAL
> DCL MEMORY[1], SHARED
>
> And then to load something from global mem at offset TEMP[0].y:
>
> LOAD TEMP[0].x, MEMORY[0], TEMP[0].yyyy
>
> And to load something from the shared mem at offset TEMP[0].y:
>
> LOAD TEMP[0].x, MEMORY[1], TEMP[0].yyyy
>
> Correct ?  And the shared mem to will take shared virtual memory
> addresses, just like global takes global virtual memory
> addresses ?

That's how I see it. You may have to add LOAD64/STORE64 for 64-bit
addresses though. Or we could decree that all addressing on global
memory shall be 64-bit (and thus read the .xy components of the
address source).

>> Another way of looking at it is that instead of having the hacky
>> RES[12345] being hardcoded to mean something special, you now have a
>> dedicated file called 'MEMORY', which has identical semantics.
>

> I'm all for getting rid of the RES[12345] hack :)
>
> I guess where you write "you now have a dedicated file called 'MEMORY'"
> You mean up to X dedicated MEMORY[#] files, one for each of GLOBAL, SHARED
> and LOCAL at least, and probably as discussed one for INPUT ?
>
> This all sounds good to me, as said my worry was that MEMORY would have
> an implied base address like BUFFER has, now that you've
> made clear that MEMORY does not have this I'm happy :)

There's a bit of a wrinkle here, and it's questionable whether we want
to allow for this somehow, but... Tesla actually has no way to address
global memory. It's always done with a base offset (which can be set
to 0). The trick is that it can only address 32 bits at a time,
there's no 64-bit addressing. But it has *16* such "global" memory
spaces, i.e. which are each base + up to 32-bit offset [and ultimately
only 40 bits of addressability]. I don't know if OpenCL provides
something good for that, if it does we can use semantic indices on the
GLOBAL to make it like

DCL MEMORY[0], GLOBAL[0]
DCL MEMORY[1], GLOBAL[1]

etc. But again, this is pretty optional.

  -ilia