For those that have been following this thread, the problem ended up being stale OF binaries from noxrepo. I've since updated them and things seem to be working.

.m
Hey,
as I replied to Peter, I only run "./nox_core -v -i pgen:10 packetdump" when testing nox on it's own. So the -pgen flag could justify the first output that I sent.

However, when testing nox with openflow, I initiated nox as follows:
./nox_core -v -i ptcp:2525 pyswitch

And tried to connect from the switch with:
./secchan nl:0 tcp:10.0.2.2:2525 <http://10.0.2.2:2525/>

and this is where I get the second output that I showed earlier (I still get the 5 seconds timeout)

(   >> 00028|openflow|DBG:Passive tcp interface bound to port 2525