my question is about last two lines (46,47). Why we are getting this arp reply at the end with out any request and both hosts are already seding ICMP packets to each other (by mentioning correct destination mac). Can anyone explain please.

Hi, Siraj. I don't think there are any problems in the log you sent, but the behavior might look a little strange due to OpenFlow not distinguishing between ARP requests and replies for matching.

The destination MAC address in line 30 is unknown, so NOX just floods it (and does not push down an OpenFlow entry). In line 38, NOX pushes down a rule telling the switch to forward ARP traffic from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2. This was due to a ARP reply, but OpenFlow does not distinguish between ARP requests and replies. Therefore, my guess is that there was an ARP request going from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2, that matched that rule. However, since a rule was never pushed down for ARP traffic going from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.1, you see ARP reply in NOX but not the original request. After line 47, you shouldn't see any more ARP traffic between these two hosts at NOX until the flows expire.

Does that make sense?

--Justin