On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:02:57 -0800, Guanyao Huang <gyhu...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> In my topology I periodically ping between hosts. However, I find the
> packet_count and byte_count from the switch are always 0. I am
> confirmed that I successfully received ofp_flow_stats from the desired
> switch. The central controller maintains flow information and I query
> flows with desired nw_proto, nw_src, nw_dst, tp_src, tp_dst, and
> in_port. Other fields I use wildcard.

How frequent are the pings and how are the flows being installed.  One
possibility here is that the flows are being installed with a timeout
shorter than the interval between pings.  If that is the scenario, the
behavior could be:

   1. ping arrives at switch
   2. switch does not find a matching flow, forwards to controller for
      decision.
   3. controller installs flow in switch to match future pings with a
      soft timeout.  The controller may not count the stats from the
      initial ping packet received in step 2 as being part of this new
      flow.
   4. nothing matches flow for the soft timeout.  flow is removed from
      switch.
   5. goto step 1

Might this be what is happening?

           --- Keith