Hi Josh,

As Carlos has mentioned, there is quite a few existing applications
like switch and routing that you can use "out-of-the-box".   You
should try those out.

I would also try to write some simple applications.  Creating a NOX
application is not very easy, but not very hard either.  It takes a
bit of exploration.  Once over that, you would be fine.  For example,
the firewall-like application you talked about should be relatively
easy to implement.

Regards
KK