If you look at authenticator.hh, you will see the AUTH_WITH_ROUTING #ifdef

When this is enabled, the authenticator component depends on the application
named "routing_module" (which is basically just a library).  The application
named "routing" meanwhile (defined by sprouting.hh/.cc) will actually route
flows based on the flow-in events it sees.  I was just saying that
AUTH_WITH_ROUTING can be enabled without running the "routing" application
since it only depends on the library (thus allowing someone to run a
different routing application should they so choose).