On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:15:57AM -0700, Srini Seetharaman wrote:
> In the NOX0.6 code, I see the following constructor in the
> src/include/flow.hh. Though it is preferrable to have nw_tos at the
> end to give it a default value, I think this messed up the programmer!
> Any reason why you didn't have it right after nw_proto, and leave it
> to the programmer to set it to 0 when they invoke the constructor?
> (This doesn't bring any backward compatibility of the controller code
> because dl_vlan_pcp is a new field too)
>
>  Flow(uint16_t in_port_, uint16_t dl_vlan_, uint8_t dl_vlan_pcp_,
>       ethernetaddr dl_src_, ethernetaddr dl_dst_, uint16_t dl_type_,
>       uint32_t nw_src_, uint32_t nw_dst_, uint8_t nw_proto_,
>       uint16_t tp_src_, uint16_t tp_dst_, uint8_t nw_tos_=0)

Although dl_vlan_pcp and nw_tos are both relatively new in OpenFlow,
nw_tos was added later.  I suspect that, at the point when dl_vlan_pcp
was added, it was easily possible to "grep" for all users and fix them
up, but that nw_tos was added later when there were more external users,
so that this approach seemed riskier.