To be precise, what I want to do is iterate over all of the ports and send a
packet out of each of them, NOT broadcast - I understand that that wouldn't
work if I wanted to get specific port information.  My reading of
discovery.py (which might not be right, again, I'm new to python) seems to
indicate that it has a delay between scans.  I'm implementing a system that
only scans reactively on events - for example, when a switch comes online
I'd like to scan all of its ports (individually, but those packets would all
be on the network at once, on different wires).

Since this is only at most two packets per link on the network (assuming I
don't scan the entire network very frequently), I don't see how this is a
threat to overloading the switches if the lldp packets don't get forwarded.

I don't think this would be a problem, but since discovery.py implements
this delay, I'm afraid I'm missing something.  The crux of the issue is
this:

Would there be a problem with having multiple lldp packets on different
wires in the same network?