You just want to check the TOS field value of a packet you got from a Python
packet_in handler?  In that case, all that matters is ipv4.py (from the Python
packet parsing library), and I'm pretty sure the TOS field works fine in it.

So if you're seeing packet.next.tos is 0, then... I suspect it is actually 0
on the wire (which is true most of the time...).  I'd suggest you use
wireshark or tcpdump or something to analyze the traffic.  If you can find
packets with those that have a nonzero TOS, but they're showing up in NOX as
0, please send a packet trace and your NOX code.

-- Murphy