I wouldn't call myself an expert on the routing component, but...

If you're not using nat_enforcer/pass False for check_nat, I think setup_flow()
is basically just a flow_mod, possibly followed by a packet_out if you supply a
buffer and no buffer ID.  You can specify extra actions, but it appends an
output action to the specified outport.

(Note that in the case where it does send a packet_out, this function is
buggy.  It *should* send the flow_mod, then a barrier, and then the packet_out,
but the barrier is missing.  Depending on your switch and whether you've got
bufids, this may or may not be a problem.  We're working on addressing this and
some related but more problematic instances.)

Again, if you're not using nat_enforcer, I think send_packet() pretty much
just generates a packet_out.  Again, you can specify extra actions, but it
appends an output action to the specified port.

In both cases, things are more complicated if you're using nat_enforcer, which
I never have, and I couldn't tell you much about it without reading the code
or asking someone else on the list. :)

Hope that helps.

-- Murphy