From: chest...@dca.fee.unicamp.br
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:13:38 -0300
Subject: Re: [nox-dev] Adding DNS functionality to nox
To: ibrahim.me...@alumnos.upm.es

Hi Ibrahim,
I would try to trace back where the problem might be.
As you pointed, this could be due to:- nox and my reply packet, - mininet, -
linux caches dns.

- ?

For the first possibility, have you tried to capture the DNS traffic with
wireshark to see if they are correctly decoded?
-Christian

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 07:22, ibrahim mun <ibrahim.me...@alumnos.upm.es> wrote:

Hi again,

One last question in this thread :) , about weird dns functionality:

In mininet I have a single switch (s1), 4 hosts (h2,h3,h4,h5)  (10.0.0.2 ->
10.0.0.5)
resolve.conf points to 10.0.0.2 as dns server, but actually nox catchs dns
requests matching with dst port 53, builds the response packet and sends it to
the asker with src ip 10.0.0.2.

first, I restart /etc/init.d/nscd, then
xterm h3
h3>> ping -c2 pc4
it works correctly for one time
====================================
= PING pc4 (10.0.0.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
= 64 bytes from 10.0.0.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=19.9 ms

= 64 bytes from 10.0.0.4: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.39 ms
=
= --- pc4 ping statistics ---
= 2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1007ms
= rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.391/11.660/19.929/8.269 ms

====================================

then, for 3 to 5 times, it gives
====================================
= ping: unknow host pc4

Then it works again for one time.

Observations:
1. host sends dns request at every ping, even those with unknow host
2. I changed TTL in the dns reply (the time to be cached) and it has no effect.

I don't know where is the problem (nox and my reply packet, mininet, how linux
caches dns)..

Thanks,

Ibrahim