On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Andreas Voellmy
<andreas.voel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Amin Tootoonchian <a...@cs.toronto.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> I only updated the 'switch' app in that code base, and I never looked
>> at 'hub'. My guess is that the hub app is doing so little that locking
>> within boost::asio scheduler outweights the actual work done by the
>> hub app. We need to make sure that the amount of work done by each
>> thread upon its invocation is significantly more than the locking
>> overhead in boost::asio's internal job queue.
>>

> I'm unclear about how components in the destiny branch work. Do the handlers
> run concurrently by default, or is there something extra that one has to
> write to get them to execute concurrently? If something extra is needed,
> what is it in switch.cc that makes it execute concurrently? Or are you
> saying that the event handlers in 'hub' are indeed running concurrently, but
> they aren't doing enough work to get much performance gain? (By the way, I
> was looking at /src/nox/coreapps/switch/switch.cc
> and /src/nox/coreapps/hub/hub.cc)
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

They run concurrently by default. They should be indeed running
concurrently, but I am guessing locking overhead within boost::asio
significantly outweights the actual work done by each thread. It
shouldn't be hard to fix, but not worth it since we consider that code
base to be just a proof of concept.

Thanks,
Amin