From: Murphy McCauley
Date: 2011-11-04 00:44
To: Shan Hu
CC: nox-dev
Subject: Re: [nox-dev] what is the difference between pyswitch and routing
module?
pyswitch is intended to be a very simple demo and does something along the
lines of making each switch in the network a standalone L2 learning switch.
Each switch gets no insight about the topology from its neighbors.  routing
actually uses a global view of the topology, and can just generate optimal
paths between any two endpoints.

A major result of this is that when running pyswitch, each switch needs to
learn which port to use for each destination.  Before it learns, each switch
will need to flood packets for destinations it doesn't know yet -- a lot of
packets will get sent the "wrong way".  With routing, once ANY switch can
determine where a destination is, the entire system knows.  Additionally,
pyswitch's reliance on flooding is problematic for topologies with loops --
it's easy for packets to unknown destinations to loop indefinitely.

Hope that helps clear things up.

-- Murphy

database 6409 (20110825) __________

http://www.eset.com