Ashutosh,

While this gives me a copy of the attachments, I still have not seen
your original message. However, from the title and attachments, it
appears that you are going to examine how various malicious attacks
affect a network. I see a number of problems doing that with NS. If my
assumptions am wrong, I expect someone on the list will correct me.

1. NS is designed to simulate normal, steady state network functions.
There are a number of boundary conditions that can affect the data
generated, in some cases past the point where it becomes unusable. What
you are now proposing goes well outside of those boundaries, and the
resulting behavior will be undefined, at best.

2. Different attacks have different effects on different devices. Each
network stack and driver combination has its own unique reaction to
various attacks, which also can vary based on the firmware or software
version installed. I do not believe the code in NS can correctly respond
to any of those attacks, since it was designed to model a working
system, not simulate the individual components that would react to such
an attack. Many of the described attack vectors will be completely
ignored by NS in its current state.

To overcome these problems, you will need to do a significant amount of
work to inject code that identifies attacks and simulates the correct
reactions at each node. You will also need to add methods to assign
hardware specific characteristics to each node. Since NS does not
currently have specific code for multi-homed nodes, more work must be
done to accurately simulate the reactions of routers and switches.

Bob McConnell