Hi,

In the DCF media access, the node must sense the wireless channel to
be idle for a DIFS period before it can attempt to transmit. If the
medium is determined to be busy (either NAV or physical carrier sense)
the terminal waits until the end of the current transmission before
initiating a backoff procedure. THIS IS CALLED DEFERAL. After sensing
the channel available at least DIFS period, then the station randomly
selects a backoff counter and goes into BACKOFF stage.