I didn't notice any useful responses to the initial cry for help.
Forgive me if I'm just being redundant.

This isn't an ns-2 problem nor is it a tk-versioning problem. It's
simply that the compiler can't find X11 (or XFree86) files it needs
to link tk to the underlying windowing system. I had the same problem
when I tried to install ns-2 on an MS WindowsXP box running cygwin
without reading directions.

Quoting from the online page
http://nsnam.isi.edu/nsnam/index.php/Running_Ns_and_Nam_Under_Windows_9x/2000/XP_Using_Cygwin

"You'll need X11. Depending on which version of Cygwin you'll use,
this might be either Xfree86 (packages XFree86-base, XFree86-bin,
XFree86-prog, XFree86-lib, and XFree86-etc) or X.org (packages
xorg-x11-bin, xorg-x11-bin-dlls, xorg-x11-devel, xorg-x11-libs-data,
and xorg-x11-etc)."

The same issue exists with Linux/Unix systems, of course. I didn't
notice because all the necessary files were already present because
of other development work.

I've successfully installed ns-2.29 on WinXP/cygwin and Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 3.

Cheers,
Kent