Unfortunately, the only good way to modify
ns-2 code is to install ns-2 separately,
install a good debugger (like ddd) and
then read the manual (or the portion you're interested)
very carefully.

>From thereon, whenever you make any change to ns you
will re-configure and re-make ns and with the debugger will check that
everything works OK.

Here's a good link, which suggests steps to follow when somebody wishes
to modify directly the code of ns-2.

http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/ns-build.html

and

http://tagus.inesc-id.pt/~pestrela/ns2/ns2_debugging.html

an excellent page from Pedro containing important links for C++ development

-Fk

> From: "ra sa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ns-users@ISI.EDU
> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:10:21 +0000
> Subject: [ns] how to start modifying code
> hi;
> i am a beginner in ns2 and i want to modify aodv or dsr protocol code such
> that i want this protocol to save all possible routes to the destination
> in
> a cache for example in a file such that if a link is broken it directly
> take
> the other route without doing route discovery how it can be applied in
> code
> because it is hard for me in the beginning to start modifying this code
> thanks a lot for your help

-Fk

--
Filippos N Kolovos