rate_ is the rate at which traffic is sent during the burst time
(on-interval).

So, yes, your overall mean rate = rate_ * burst_time / (burst_time +
idle_time)

Note that this is only true for the mean as burst_time and idle_time are
only the means of the on- and off-interval respectively.

lg,
     Martina