It would help if you also provided the distro that you are using.  There
are sometimes different answers depending on the distro.  I do know that
cygwin has several different problems that I don't know anything about but
others here do.

You will need to provide some more details.  Also I don't know if you are locked
into using ns-2.27 as ns-2.29 and ns-2.30 are available and are known to
work on a larger set of platforms.