Sorry for messing things up.

Timo Reimann wrote:
> Despite many attempts of doing this, gdb keeps refusing to decent into
> function calls using the "step" command but just rushes to the end of the
> program. I've searched for answers to this problem in the mailing-list
> archives which basically claim that one just needs to enable debugging
> info to do this.

I solved the issue. I'm too lazy to write it down all again as this
webmail client is killing me, so in a sentence or two:

`step' ignores code with no related source code available. The ns binary
does nothing but call Tcl_Main() which for some non-understandable reason
comes with no debugging symbols although I've enabled them in the building
process.

Solution: in gdb, set `step-mode' to `on'.

--Timo